15 Examples of the Use of Smart Glasses in Agriculture
Posted on April 12, 2023 4 minutes 850 words
Table of contents
- 1. Hands-free data access with Google Glass Enterprise Edition
- 2. Precision spraying with John Deere’s ExactApply system
- 3. Guided planting with FarmDogg’s AR planting app
- 4. Augmented reality for crop identification with Plantix
- 5. Remote expert consultations with AgriEye
- 6. Training and education with FarmVR
- 7. Livestock management with Cattle-Watch
- 8. Irrigation management with CropX
- 9. Harvest optimization with Agremo
- 10. Equipment maintenance with Vuforia
- 11. Worker safety with Fatigue Science
- 12. Real-time crop monitoring with Parrot Sequoia
- 13. Farm security with Arable’s IoT solutions
- 14. Supply chain transparency with Provenance
- 15. Environmental impact monitoring with Sentera’s FieldAgent
The agricultural industry is constantly evolving, and the integration of advanced technology has become a crucial component of modern farming. One such technology is smart glasses, which are proving to be an indispensable tool for farmers. In this blog post, we will dive deeper into 15 real-world examples of smart glasses in agriculture, examining their benefits, potential applications, and the impact they have on farming practices.
1. Hands-free data access with Google Glass Enterprise Edition
Google Glass Enterprise Edition is a powerful tool for farmers, providing real-time access to vital information such as weather forecasts, soil data, and crop health metrics. This hands-free device allows farmers to make quick decisions and adjustments in the field, ultimately improving overall efficiency.
2. Precision spraying with John Deere’s ExactApply system
John Deere’s ExactApply system, when paired with smart glasses, offers farmers the ability to apply pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers with pinpoint accuracy. The GPS and advanced sensor integration helps reduce chemical waste and minimize environmental impact while ensuring maximum effectiveness.
3. Guided planting with FarmDogg’s AR planting app
FarmDogg’s augmented reality planting app, when used with smart glasses, provides farmers with precise instructions for seed placement and spacing. This reduces seed waste and promotes optimal plant growth, ultimately increasing yield and profit.
4. Augmented reality for crop identification with Plantix
Plantix is a mobile app that, when used in combination with smart glasses, helps farmers identify and differentiate between various crops and weeds. This technology allows for targeted pest control and informed crop management, resulting in healthier crops and reduced chemical use.
5. Remote expert consultations with AgriEye
AgriEye is a remote consultation platform that connects farmers with agronomists and other experts. When used with smart glasses, farmers can receive expert advice and collaborate in real-time without leaving their fields, resulting in better decision-making and enhanced crop management.
6. Training and education with FarmVR
FarmVR is an immersive virtual reality platform that provides hands-on training for new farmers. When used with smart glasses, trainees can gain valuable skills and knowledge, better preparing them for success in the agricultural industry.
7. Livestock management with Cattle-Watch
Cattle-Watch is a livestock management system that uses RFID tags and GPS tracking to monitor livestock health and location. When paired with smart glasses, farmers can easily manage large herds and prevent disease outbreaks, ensuring healthy and productive animals.
8. Irrigation management with CropX
CropX is a soil sensor and irrigation management system that helps farmers monitor soil moisture levels. When integrated with smart glasses, farmers can make data-driven decisions regarding irrigation schedules, ultimately conserving water and increasing crop yield.
9. Harvest optimization with Agremo
Agremo is a drone-based data analysis platform that helps farmers determine the optimal time to harvest their crops. When combined with smart glasses, farmers can make informed decisions based on factors such as crop maturity, weather conditions, and market demand.
10. Equipment maintenance with Vuforia
Vuforia is an augmented reality platform that provides step-by-step instructions for equipment maintenance and repair. When used with smart glasses, farmers can quickly diagnose and resolve issues, reducing downtime and ensuring their machinery remains in peak condition.
11. Worker safety with Fatigue Science
Fatigue Science’s wearable technology, when integrated with smart glasses, monitors worker fatigue levels and provides real-time feedback to ensure that breaks are taken when necessary. This reduces the risk of accidents and improves overall worker safety on the farm.
12. Real-time crop monitoring with Parrot Sequoia
Parrot Sequoia is a multispectral sensor designed for drone integration that, when used in conjunction with smart glasses, allows farmers to monitor crop growth in real-time. This technology provides valuable insights into crop health and helps farmers identify problem areas, enabling them to make data-driven decisions and improve yields.
13. Farm security with Arable’s IoT solutions
Arable’s IoT solutions, when paired with smart glasses, allow farmers to monitor their farm perimeters and surveillance systems. This ensures the security of crops, livestock, and equipment, and helps to prevent theft and vandalism.
14. Supply chain transparency with Provenance
Provenance is a blockchain-based platform that tracks the journey of agricultural products from farm to table. When used with smart glasses, farmers can provide consumers with detailed information about the origin, handling, and sustainability practices associated with their food products, fostering trust and transparency in the supply chain.
15. Environmental impact monitoring with Sentera’s FieldAgent
Sentera’s FieldAgent is a data analytics platform that helps farmers monitor their environmental impact by tracking factors such as water usage, chemical application, and carbon emissions. When integrated with smart glasses, farmers can make informed decisions on sustainable farming practices, minimizing their environmental footprint.
The use of smart glasses in agriculture is revolutionizing the industry, offering a wide range of benefits that improve efficiency, reduce costs, and promote sustainable practices. The 15 real-world examples provided in this blog post demonstrate the immense potential of smart glasses to transform modern farming. As technology continues to advance, we can expect even more innovative applications for smart glasses in agriculture, reshaping the future of farming and enhancing global food security.