15 Examples of the Use of Metaverse in Design
Posted on April 4, 2023 5 minutes 886 words
Table of contents
- 1. Virtual Architecture: Bjarke Ingels Group’s Mars Science City
- 2. Fashion Shows: Balenciaga Fall 2021 Collection
- 3. Art Galleries and Exhibitions: The Voxel Bridge
- 4. Interior Design: Design Harmony’s Virtual Showroom
- 5. Virtual Concerts: Travis Scott’s Fortnite Performance
- 6. Digital Sculpture and Installations: Krista Kim’s Mars House
- 7. Augmented Reality Experiences: Pokémon GO
- 8. Virtual Reality Gaming: Half-Life: Alyx
- 9. Film and Animation: The Lion King (2019)
- 10. Collaborative Design Platforms: Spatial
- 11. Virtual Tourism: Google Earth VR
- 12. Educational Spaces: Engage
- 13. Digital Branding and Advertising: Nike’s SNKRS App
- 14. Environmental and Urban Planning: Virtual Singapore
- 15. Social Spaces and Communities: VRChat
The Metaverse has opened up a realm of possibilities for designers and creators from all industries. By blurring the lines between the physical and digital worlds, the Metaverse has given rise to a new wave of innovative experiences and applications. In this blog post, we delve deeper into 15 real-world examples of the Metaverse being used in design, showcasing the impressive potential of this rapidly evolving platform.
1. Virtual Architecture: Bjarke Ingels Group’s Mars Science City
Renowned architecture firm Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) has used the Metaverse to create a fully-rendered, interactive virtual space of their Mars Science City project. This allows clients and the public to experience their designs in an immersive environment, providing a glimpse into the potential future of human habitation on Mars.
2. Fashion Shows: Balenciaga Fall 2021 Collection
Balenciaga’s Fall 2021 fashion show took place in a virtual world created specifically for the event, where models walked through a dystopian cityscape. This innovative approach allowed the brand to reach a global audience without the need for a physical venue.
3. Art Galleries and Exhibitions: The Voxel Bridge
In 2021, Colombian-Canadian artist Jessica Angel created the Voxel Bridge, an immersive digital art exhibition hosted within the Metaverse platform Decentraland. This virtual gallery allows visitors to explore and interact with the artwork, offering an entirely new way to experience art.
4. Interior Design: Design Harmony’s Virtual Showroom
Design Harmony, an interior design firm, has utilized the Metaverse to create a virtual showroom where clients can explore and customize spaces. By employing 3D modeling and rendering, clients can visualize their designs in a realistic and immersive environment.
5. Virtual Concerts: Travis Scott’s Fortnite Performance
Travis Scott’s virtual concert in Fortnite attracted over 12 million viewers, making it one of the most successful virtual events ever. The concert featured a larger-than-life Scott avatar performing alongside a series of dynamic, interactive visuals that captivated the audience.
6. Digital Sculpture and Installations: Krista Kim’s Mars House
Digital artist Krista Kim sold her Mars House, a fully-furnished, virtual home within the Metaverse, for over $500,000. This groundbreaking sale highlights the potential for digital sculpture and installations in the virtual world.
7. Augmented Reality Experiences: Pokémon GO
Niantic’s Pokémon GO is a prime example of a Metaverse-based augmented reality experience. By overlaying virtual creatures onto the physical world, the game has attracted millions of players who engage with their environment in an entirely new way.
8. Virtual Reality Gaming: Half-Life: Alyx
Valve’s Half-Life: Alyx is a groundbreaking virtual reality game set within the Metaverse. Players can immerse themselves in the richly detailed world of City 17, interacting with objects and solving puzzles in a way that’s only possible through VR technology.
9. Film and Animation: The Lion King (2019)
The 2019 remake of The Lion King utilized Metaverse technologies to create an immersive, digital environment for the film’s production. This allowed the director and animators to collaborate in real-time, streamlining the filmmaking process and resulting in an incredibly lifelike adaptation.
10. Collaborative Design Platforms: Spatial
Spatial is a Metaverse-based platform that enables designers to work together in real-time, regardless of their location. By creating a shared virtual workspace, Spatial revolutionizes the design process, improving communication and collaboration.
11. Virtual Tourism: Google Earth VR
Google Earth VR is a Metaverse application that enables users to virtually explore and experience famous landmarks and destinations. By providing a lifelike, interactive replica of the world, Google Earth VR has revolutionized the way we travel and discover new places, all from the comfort of our own homes.
12. Educational Spaces: Engage
Engage is a Metaverse platform that allows educational institutions to create virtual classrooms and campuses. This innovative solution offers students the opportunity to engage with learning materials and interact with their peers in an immersive, virtual environment. Engage has been used by institutions such as Harvard University and Oxford University to create interactive lessons, workshops, and virtual field trips.
13. Digital Branding and Advertising: Nike’s SNKRS App
Nike’s SNKRS app uses Metaverse technology to create engaging and interactive advertising campaigns. By incorporating augmented reality experiences and gamification elements, Nike has managed to create a unique and immersive platform that keeps users engaged while promoting their products.
14. Environmental and Urban Planning: Virtual Singapore
Virtual Singapore is a collaborative project between the Singapore government and various technology partners that uses the Metaverse to visualize and test urban designs. This detailed, 3D model of the city allows planners to simulate various scenarios, such as traffic patterns and resource allocation, to create a more sustainable and efficient urban environment.
15. Social Spaces and Communities: VRChat
VRChat is a popular Metaverse platform that allows users to create, share, and explore virtual worlds with others. With customizable avatars and user-generated content, VRChat has become a thriving social space where users can connect, communicate, and interact in ways never before possible.
The Metaverse has proven to be an incredibly versatile and powerful tool for designers and creators across various industries. As technology continues to evolve, we can expect to see even more exciting examples of the Metaverse being used in design and innovation. The possibilities are virtually limitless, and the Metaverse is poised to forever change the way we experience and interact with the world around us.